We analyze potential impacts from traffic; heating, ventilating and air conditioning stacks (HVAC); diesel equipment; fugitive dust; and air toxics from auto painting and other facilities. We have also analyzed horse stables and live poultry establishments. Typical analyses include:
- Traffic air quality using MOVES for motor vehicle emission factors and CAL3QHC/R or AERMOD for pollutant concentrations
- Diesel equipment using NonRoad for engine emission factors and AERMOD for pollutant concentrations
- HVAC stacks using AERMOD with and without downwash as well as the nomographs in the NYC CEQR Technical Manual
- Fugitive dust area sources using AERMOD
- Garage, parking deck, or surface lots using spreadsheet methods
- Air toxics using the Industrial Source Screen or AERMOD
- Airport air quality using EDMS
We provide noise monitoring, modeling, and analyses for traffic, equipment, recreation, and other sources. Our ANSI Type I noise monitors can log statistics for for up to 24 hours. For building interiors, we can use ASTM E1332-10a formulas to calculate composite window/wall attenuation factors to enable clients to lower the OITC ratings specified for windows in NYC E designations. We can also recommend measures to reduce noise transmission through floors, ceilings, and walls. Typical analyses include:
- TNM (Traffic Noise Model) for roadway noise levels
- CadnaA for industrial, construction, and recreational sources (can also include motor vehicles)
- RCNM for construction equipment
- PCEs (Passenger Car Equivalents) and other spreadsheet calculations of noise level increases
- AEM (Area Equivalent Method) for airport noise contours
- INM (Integrated Noise Model) for airport noise contours
Wetlands Delineation, Permitting and Mitigation
Staff have conducted wetlands delineations as per USACE 1989 Manual (10 counties in New York and Pennsylvania), Unified Federal Manual (17 counties in New Jersey), and NYSDEC/local definition in New York State. SEA can obtain JD’s from the Corps of Engineers, LOI’s from NJDEP, and Individual Permits, Nationwide Permits and General Permits. SEA can also prepare mitigation plans and perform annual inspections.
SEA can carry out water sampling, fisheries and benthic surveys, nonpoint source loading calculations, and impact analysis, as well as interface with site engineers regarding stormwater permitting and the creative use of BMPs.
Phase I Environmental Assessments (ESA)
SEA has completed Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESA’s) for hundreds of properties throughout New York City and New Jersey. They have included residential, retail, industrial, and agricultural sites in both urban and rural areas. We use EDR’s Parcel Platform to expedite the report preparation and compilation of appendices. All studies are carried out in compliance with 40 CFR Part 312, (Standards and Practices for All Appropriate Inquiries) and ASTM E 1527-13, (Standard Practice for Environmental Site Assessments: Phase I Environmental Site Assessment Practice).
Expert Testimony and Reviews
SEA provides expert witness testimony to planning and zoning boards as well as administrative law judges and courts. These appearances have been both on behalf of applicants and in the review of applications for municipalities or objectors.