Ramland Holdings LLC purchased a vacant flex office/warehouse building in Orangeburg, NY. The building was one story high with a partial second story. Ramland intended to develop it as a data center. That type of use would require installing a substantial amount of rooftop and outdoor ground level equipment to maintain interior temperatures, as well as back-up power, for data center tenants. With a residential neighborhood barely 500 feet from the building, cumulative noise levels were a source of concern. Ramland asked SEA for assistance in evaluating potential noise impacts and mitigation measures. SEA reviewed alternative site plans and equipment specifications from multiple vendors and carried out modeling with Datakustic’s CadnaA noise model.
- Identified equipment noise specifications for input to CadnaA model
- Set up building, equipment, and wall configurations in CadnaA
- CadnaA noise modeling of the following proposed equipment:
- 68 rooftop condensers
- 5 emergency generators
- 5 rooftop-mounted chillers
- 14 ground level chillers
- Recommended optimal locations for equipment and acoustical walls to avoid significant noise impacts
SEA has performed CadnaA modeling for other studies, such as the Larchmont Rail Noise Study in Mamaroneck, NY, the proposed Greenbrier Power Plant in Rainelle, WV, and the construction noise analysis for Astoria Cove in Queens, NY.